Monday, July 5, 2010

Fifth time is the charm!

My 5th attempt at isolation milling the PCB was finally a success. After experiencing just about every failure mode, here's what I learned.

First, be sure you've calibrated your milling tool. See "Calibrating PCB isolation routing with Eagle/pcb-gcode" by Poul-Henning Kam. He created a simple PCB design that mills traces of a particular width across from isolation paths of the same width. Compare the two - if they are the same width, you are good to go. If they are differing widths, then your bit is either too deep or too shallow.

Second, is your table surface 'flat' in comparison to your milling tool? Mine was out by just under 2 mils, which is a lot, considering 1 oz copper is only 1.4 mils thick. To test, I took one of my mill bits and inserted it upside-down in the Dremel. I moved the tool to each of the four corners and found the highest corner. I use an axillary 9 x 12 inch "sacrificial" board to which I attach my PCB stock to - with double-sided tape - so that any drill-through would not damage my router table. To the underside of each corner of the sacrificial board I added 10-32 tee nuts, countersunk slightly. Into each I used 10-32 x 1/2" set screws with a hex-head.  Update - a machinist friend of mine advised me to have have two set screws on one side and only one setscrew in the center of the other side - forming a tripod.  This makes adjustment super-easy and much faster than one adjustment screw in each corner.

I repeated the leveling exercise, again starting at the highest corner, and using a feeler gauge - update:  I have since converted to a dial indicator - about 10x faster - I lowered the set-screws until each corner was lifted to the proper height. I kept gentle clamping pressure on the board so it wouldn't move during the leveling process. The thickness of the feeler gauge is not important, just use the same thickness gauge everywhere.

Finally, align the PCB square on the routing table and test by moving the X or Y axis along one edge of the board - I use the point of the router bit as my reference. Adjust the PCB (carefully) into square.  Update - it is important to adjust the PCB to be 'square' against the path of the router, not square to the table as shown here.

Now we're ready to route.

Next post I'll cover what I learned on the Eagle CADsoft PCB design software.

8 comments:

  1. Nicely launched facts here, I prefer to find out this kind of material. The grade of written content will be fine plus the conclusion will be fine. Cannabis business plan template Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely launched facts here. I truly choose to review this kind of rich in material. The grade of written content will be fine plus the conclusion will probably be helpful. Love with the publish. Keep it up within foreseeable future. cannabis business pro forma

    ReplyDelete
  3. On-line evaluating is simply not our difficulty. However just after evaluating your blog We have been definitely satisfied. When i don’t know about various other web sites however this kind of My goal is to completely protect re-occurring to be able to. vacation homes for rent by owner

    ReplyDelete
  4. As i researed valuable home elevators the following as i feel doing the job absent at a kind business. Thanks publishing effective facts and now becoming much simpler to do this job. Toyota 4Runner Off Road Bumpers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful web site and also I am thinking about and also the number of create. I just now enjoy Blog Engine furthermore. Ordinary Fish Mounts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers intended for using a few momemts to be able to argument this, Professionally i think clearly regarding it and also enjoy studying a lot more with this issue. אבי פארטס בע

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! Cheers to your files, the been recently wonderful. Cheers all over again intended for providing your data. hemp cbd business plans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic write-up wonderful run i enjoy your livelihood and also honestly aided us close to the query. Cheers cannabis business plan Europe

    ReplyDelete